This course provides an introduction to the financial markets products and services, markets and market participants. Focus will be placed on the foreign exchange and equities products and the processes that support the trading and settlement of these instruments. The course also includes the architecture and design of the IT application systems that support these processes. It will cover how the deployment of STP has enabled efficiencies and eliminated risks by the end-to-end streamlining of operations within and across firms from trade initiation to settlement.
Financial Markets Essentials
- Market Structure and Participants
- What are "Markets"
- Types of Markets, Exchanges and Execution Venues
- Markets Participants – Organizations and Roles
- Asset Classes and Products
- Transaction Lifecycle (Pre-trade, Trade and Post-Trade)
- Solution Architecture and Design Considerations
- Order Management System functions and considerations
- Price Feed Engines functions and considerations
- Risk Management Systems functions and considerations
- Overview of the common Order Management, Price Feed and Risk Management Systems in the market
- Clearing and Settlements
- Overview of the common Clearing and Settlement Systems in the market
- Typical System Architecture for a Financial Institution Exercise: Foreign Exchange Trading, Order Routing and Internalization
- Algorithmic Trading and Complex Event Processing (CEP)
- Introduction to Algorithmic Trading and some common algorithms
- Infrastructural Requirements for algorithmic trading
- CEP Engines
- Current trends in Algorithmic trading – The Race to Zero
- Financial Markets Product Lifecycle Development & Implementation
- Business Infrastructure and environmental factors (Sell-side support, buy-side demand)
- Design Considerations
- Development and Testing
- Integration with internal systems
- Integration with external systems
- Regulatory Approvals
- Measurements of success (Delivery versus Specs, Return on Investment)
Case Studies/ Exercises
Class exercises/ case studies are designed to enhance your understanding of the concepts and methodologies taught in the course.
Who Should Attend
This three-day course is relevant for professionals from the Banking IT and Operations functions and other functions such as Business, seeking to understand the mechanics of Financial Market Operations and Technology.
- Possess at least a basic diploma or equivalent qualification
- Possess a good command of the English language
- Possess good analytical and evaluation skills
- Possess good problem-solving skills and communication skills
Upon successful completion of the NICF accredited course, you will receive a certificate from Singapore Management University.
For general terms and conditions on our courses, click here. SMU reserves the right to amend any information without prior notice.
9am - 5pm
Singapore Management University
S$3,210* (inclusive of GST)
10% group discount for 3 or more participants from the same company for the same course.
Funding and Claims Process
CITREP+ funding (to be advised).
This programme is supported under UTAP (Union Training Assistance Programme), an individual skills upgrading account specially for NTUC members where members enjoy 50% of the unfunded course fee capped at $250 every year. For claims on UTAP and eligibility criteria, visit http://skillsupgrade.ntuc.org.sg.
Have a question?
Phone: +65 6828 9577
Last updated on 03 Apr 2017 .